Universal Infant Free School Meals
September 2019 update
Every child in Britain from EYFS to Year 2 can have a free school meal. You don’t have to register, you don’t have to qualify or fill in any forms. It is literally there on a plate for your child. Not only is that great for you but it is also great for school because for every child who has their universal infant free school meal, we receive money into our budget.
For this reason we have started a new approach this year and any child who joins Dothill into EYFS/Y1 or Y2 will be expected to have school dinners or school sandwiches and not bring a packed lunch from home.
For those of you with children in Year 1 or 2 currently I would encourage you to stop paying out your own money and sending your child with a packed lunch from home. The school kitchen will provide a packed lunch for free!! There is a wide range of bread/fillings/yogurts/fruit/cakes/cookies on offer that your child can choose from and it won’t cost you a penny.
For further information please refer to the leaflet from Telford and Wrekin catering which we sent out to all children in July and the sandwich order form enclosed for current year 1 and 2 children (further orders forms for all year groups are available from the school website). Why not give it a go!
Children are able to select a packed lunch instead of their usual school dinner. To do so, please complete the form below and return to the kitchen or school office by 10am on the Wednesday of the week before it is required. Thank you.
Dinner Money Arrears
As you know, we operate a zero tolerance on meal arrears as some quite substantial overspends have built up on some of the children’s accounts in previous years.
On the first day that children choose a lunch and do not have enough credit on their account, our kitchen team will let them have their meal, thus leaving arrears between 0.01p and £2.30. The parent/carer will get a letter from the cook informing them of the debt so they are aware and can rectify the situation straight away. They should also get an email from the cook warning of a low balance. If the arrears are not cleared, and if the children do not bring in a packed lunch from home, the kitchen team will give them an emergency meal (a cheese sandwich, fruit and/or a yoghurt) at lunchtime if they come for a school meal. This will be chargeable.
In the past, parents/carers have also been rung by the office if their child’s account is in debt and the child has ordered a dinner that day. In the future, this will not happen if your child’s account is in debt. In that case, your child will automatically get an emergency meal (cheese sandwich, fruit and/or yoghurt).
It is important that parents/carers update the school with any changes to their main email account as that is how the kitchen send reminders out re: low credit etc.
Thank you for your support and cooperation with this matter.
General Reminders and Updates
- If your child is absent and you have ordered a school packed lunch (sandwich) for that day then please let us know otherwise unfortunately you will be charged. A charge will also be made if you forget you have ordered a school packed lunch for your child and a meal from home is provided instead.
- Always pay dinner money in advance (currently £2.30 per day).
- Please put the money in an ENVELOPE and ensure that NAME and CLASS and AMOUNT and DATE are identified on the front as it can lead to much confusion without it.
- If paying on-line, please allow enough time for payment to go through (at least 24 hours).
- All children are checked in to dinners by name so that we can ensure everyone who has ordered a dinner for that day receives a dinner for that day.
- We have email addresses for most parents, but if you are not getting emails, please check with the office that we have your up to date email address.